The Religious Studies Program is housed mainly in the Department of Humanities, in the Faculty of Liberal Arts & Professional Studies. Religious Studies students may enrol in courses offered by teaching units other than the Department of Humanities. But note that students must always meet the enrollment requirements of the unit offering a course so selected. In some cases, students may also be required to obtain written permission from their advisor or the Coordinator of the Program, in order for such courses to be counted as credits towards a degree in Religious Studies.
This is particularly important in the case of courses that are housed in the Department of History, which has very strict enrollment guidelines!!!
Religious Studies Majors and Minors are encouraged to take Religious Studies courses at Glendon College (416) 487-6732. Please consult the Coordinator before enrolling in courses offered outside the Faculty of Liberal Arts & Professional Studies.
According to Faculty of Liberal Arts & Professional Studies regulations, students must take at least 50% of their major/minor courses and at least 50% of their total number of courses within the Faculty. Please bear this in mind when you consider taking courses outside the Faculty.
- There are limits to the number of non-Arts courses you may take.
- Language courses count toward a degree in Religious Studies. Please consult with your advisor about this option.
- Only one language course at the 1000 or 2000-level may count toward the Religious Studies Program requirements
- When you take a 9.0-credit Religious Studies course (i.e. a Foundations Course, including HUMA 2800), only 6 (six) credits will count towards your Religious Studies major or minor. The other 3 (three) credits will count as elective credits. This is in effect ONLY when it is not taken as a General Education credit.
- Students may enrol in cognate courses only through their home units (e.g. the Dept of English for AP/EN 4130 6.0 Milton).
- If you wish to enrol in a cognate course, you must meet any prerequisites applied to it by the home unit.
Be sure to seek appropriate guidance from: your advisor or the Coordinator of the Religious Studies Program.